The history of PUP may well parallel the nation's growth and development. As it met the needs of a fledgling Philippine civil service under American rule forged from anvil of Spanish colonialism, so will it serve the rising expectations of the people in the 21st century...desirous now of reclaiming their rightful place in the community of independent nations. As it has withstood the test of time, so will it continue to pace contemporary Philippine history.
Here are the highlights of its growth from a mere business school with an itinerant existence to the country's largest state university. Click upon the timeline link provided below to proceed with the specific part of the PUP history timeline.
1904 In response to the demand for training personnel for the government service and to the felt need to provide skills essential for private business employment, the Manila Business School (MBS) was founded on October 1904 as part of a City School system under the superintendence of CA O'Reilley.
It offered the prescribed intermediate curriculum and such vocational-technical courses as typing, bookkeeping, stenography, and telegraphy.
1908 On account of the fact that the great majority of its students came from the province, the MBS was made into an Insular (or national) school and accordingly renamed Philippine School of Commerce (PSC). At first, the intermediate curriculum was prescribed in addition to subjects such as typewriting, bookkeeping, and stenography. Afterwards a four-year secondary course in commerce was offered in addition to the courses in Bookkeeping, Stenography, Typewriting and Telegraphy.
1911 The PSC was placed again under the supervision of the Superintendent of City Schools for Administrative purposes only, but retained its status as an Insular school. The PSC produced its first batch of high school graduates. During this year the course in telegraphy was discontinued since the Telegraph School of the Bureau of Posts offered better facilities.
1912 The PSC offered a one-year course in Stenography for high school graduates. The course proved to be successful and popular because of its positive results. Those who took the course got easily employed as stenographers and later as office managers.
1917 To keep in step with changing conditions, the PSC started revising its courses of study. Under the leadership of Acting Principal Luis F. Reyes, it continually raised its general requisites. To enable young people employed during the daytime to acquire further training, it opened night classes (These classes would be discontinued in 1932 because of the government's retrenchment policy).
1933 The PSC was merged with the Philippine Normal School (PNS) and the Philippine School of Arts and Trades. During the merger, which lasted for 12 years, it operated under the supervision and administration of the PNS Superintendent. The PSC students who completed their respective courses were considered graduates of the PNS. The PSC replaced its secondary curriculum with a two-year junior college curriculum.
The existence of PSC caught the attention of then President Manuel L. Quezon. In his graduation address at the Rizal Memorial Stadium on March 26, 1940, he said in part (addressing the graduates of the School of Commerce):
"I can tell you why you are forgotten on these occasions. It is because you do not belong here... I will do my best to get the National Assembly to set aside a special appropriation for a building for the School of Commerce, so that graduates of this school will henceforth be where they can be noticed."
1942 Subsequently, then Congressman Manuel A. Alazarte, with then department head Luis F. Reyes, formulated a bill to this effect and was presented to Congress. Unfortunately the Pacific War broke out. The plan was not carried out.
During the war years, the PSC was among those institutions of learning compelled to declare a blackout on culture.
1946 Shortly after liberation, Superintendent Luis F. Reyes resumed tasks for the re-establishment and rehabilitation of the school. The appeal was returned with more than eight thousand pesos allocation received from the national funds of the Bureau of Public Works for purposes of repairs and maintenance of public buildings.
The ruins of the Normal Hall building was turned into an improvised house of learning and on August 4, 1946, it was able to open formally regular classes to surprisingly eager students. The PSC offered one-year and two-year courses in retailing merchandising and a complete four-year course in distributive arts education.
1947 Meanwhile, the PNS found it necessary to use the Normal Hall building as a dormitory. PSC, in turn, resigned to its lot of again working in humble crowded rooms. This drove school authorities to seek remedies for this unbearable situation. Representations were made to the Philippine Alien Property Administrator, through Malacañang and the Department of Foreign Affairs, for the acquisition of the Lepanto site.
Such representations were so intensified that on July 31, 1947 the two buildings in Lepanto (now S.H. Loyola) Street in Sampaloc, Manila were turned over to the Philippine Government for the exclusive use of the PSC. The School began to move and on August 4 the official transfer was effected.
Luis F. Reyes was appointed PSC Superintendent.
1948 The PSC acquired the P.E. grounds, also on S.H. Loyola Street.
1949 Republic Act No. 415 was passed, providing for the establishment of teacher-training departments in government schools. The PSC was one of the beneficiaries of the said Act.
1951 Three departments were organized: Teacher Training, Business Education, and Research.
Through Republic Act (RA) 778 passed by both houses of Congress on May 20, 1952 and signed by then Philippine President Elpidio Quirino on June 21, 1952, the PSC was converted into the Philippine College of Commerce (PCC), with Luis F. Reyes as its first president. The PCC broadened its program offerings with the inclusion of undergraduate courses in commerce and related fields.
1954 This Institution celebrated its Golden Jubilee.
1955 For its "dynamic leadership in vocational business education", the PCC was conferred by the Business Writers Association of the Philippines the title of "Business College of the Year."
The Annex Building (also in S.H. Loyola St.), which had housed the Congress of the Philippines, was officially turned over to PCC.
1956 When Reyes retired, Prof. Pacifico A. Velilla took over the PCC presidency.
1960 Atty. Victor dela Torre was designated Acting College President.
1962 Immediately after assuming the presidency, Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente established an Advisory Committee for the President, a CPA review class, a scholarship committee, and a codified set of rules and regulations for the College.
1963 The College Code was printed, the Public Relations Program established, and the first issue of the PCC Faculty Journal published. Other initiatives taken during that school year include:
Inclusion of more liberal arts courses in the curriculum;
Establishment of the Book Bank and the Student Loan Fund;
Elevation of high school teachers to the rank of Assistant Instructor; and
Establishment of the Junior Executive Training Program.
1965 Through Pres. Diosdado Macapagal's proclamation, the Pandacan site of the Bureau of Animal Industry was reserved for PCC's use. The student assistantship program was instituted and a system of financial aid was introduced. Instructors with masteral and doctoral degrees were, as a matter of policy, automatically promoted to Assistant Professor 1 and Assistant Professor 2, respectively.
1967 Important developments during that school year include:
The reservation, through Pres. Ferdinand Marcos' declaration, of a 10-hectare lot in Bicutan, Taguig for PCC use;
The adoption of a policy of student involvement in PCC's official functions;
Revision of courses of study; and
Enrichment of the traditional vocational course with more liberal arts and cultural courses aimed at the PCC students' holistic education as well as the reinforcement of classroom learning with varied co-curricular activities.
1968 The development of the preceding school year led to the rise of social consciousness among the PCC constituents and to the revision of the college charter by the passage of RA No. 6980 authorizing the offering of courses in the social sciences related to business education. Besides, the Sta. Mesa (A. Mabini) Campus was assigned for the use and disposition of the PCC. Also, the titles of the lots on S.H. Loyola St. were awarded to PCC through congressional legislation.
1969 Initiatives included the following:
Appointment of the president of the Supreme Student Council as member of the Board of Trustees (now Board of Regents);
Offering of the following in lieu of the two-year basic commercial course: Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, and Master of Business Administration; and
Securing the exemption of PCC personnel from civil service rules and regulation as well as from the application of the Wage and Position Classification Office (WAPCO) criteria.
Short-term courses in Electronic Data Processing (EDP) were offered under the Faculty of Accountancy.
1971 Among the important developments were:
Revision of the College Code;
Transfer of the Laboratory High School from S.H. Loyola Campus to A. Mabini Campus; and
Creation of the Katipunan Foundation, Inc.
1972 When martial law was declared, Dr. Narciso Albaraccin, Jr. was designated Officer-in-Charge (OIC), with Dr. Pablo T. Mateo, Jr. as Performance Officer. Among the changes under Albaraccin were:
Abolition of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences;
Introduction of several new courses, including technology and occupational education;
Reorganization of different Faculties; and
Offering of a five-year curriculum in Accounting.
1973 Dr. Isabelo T. Crisostomo succeeded Albaraccin as OIC.
1974 The following developments came in the wake of Dr. Crisostomo's appointment as Acting President:
Offering of Bachelor of Business Administration and General Administration;
Completion of phase 1 of the gymnasium;
Establishment of the Center for Skills and Rural Industries Development (CSRID), which was designed to give out-of-school youths skill training for gainful employment and in the production of export products using indigenous raw materials in their communities;
Construction of the marble pylon and the Mabini Circle; and
Creation of a unit to handle short courses in Electronic Data Processing (EDP).
1975 The PCC opened its branch in the Bataan Export Processing Zone (BEPZ), Mariveles, Bataan.
1976 The Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) was reestablished, the Master of Public Administration (MPA) and the Master in Economics (ME) programs were added in the Graduate School, and the various offices were re-structured.
1977 After Dr. Mateo became president in May 1977, the ladder program was expanded to all degree courses; 13 additional degree courses using the ladder approach were introduced. The "techno-business" curriculum was developed, and introduced were adult business education and non-degree courses in business/distributive arts.
1978 Through Presidential Decree (PD) 1341, PCC was converted into a chartered state university and accordingly renamed Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP). This led to the broadening of course offerings and the restructure/streamlining of the University's administrative organization.
1979 Among the accomplishments of this period were:
Face-lifting of A. Mabini Campus through construction of the main library, the University canteen, the ecumenical chapel (Interfaith Chapel), and the 3rd, 4th, and portion of the 5th floors of the XYZ building (Main building in Mabini Campus);
Establishment of a branch in Lopez, Quezon (June 1979);
Revision of undergraduate curricular programs;
Establishment of consortia with the Construction Industry Board for the Opening of Master in Applied Statistics, the Philippine Normal College for the conduct of teacher education courses in PUP Lopez, and La Consolacion College for a program in Cooperatives;
Expansion of graduate programs to include masteral programs in Public Administration (MPA), Public and Business Administration (MPBA), Economics (ME), Accountancy (MAC), as well as doctoral programs in Public Administration (DPA) and Business Administration (DBA);
Creation of the Institute of Technology;
Introduction of ladderized baccalaureate courses in Tourism, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Office Administration, Government Accounting, and Library Science; and
Start of the PUP Review Center (Summer 1981).
The EDP/Computer Data Processing Management (CDPM) unit was created under the Faculty of Business and Cooperatives. It started to offer a four-year ladderized course, known as Bachelor in Computer Data Processing Management (BCDPM).
1983 In spite of the country's economic difficulties, PUP's 71 ladderized technical and professional programs continued to be viable. There were significant accomplishments like:
Introduction of Bachelor of Human Behavior Technology (BHBT) under the FAS;
Inclusion of a course in computers in all degree programs;
Revival of the PUP Student Council, drafting of its Constitution and By-Laws by the Student Constitutional Convention and the ratification of this by the studentry; and
Consortium with the NMPC as well as international linkages through PASUC-Texas Consortium, the Association of Asian Institutes of Higher Learning, the Regional Institute for Higher Educational Development, the International Association of Universities, and the UNESCO.
1984 The University underwent reorganization. It adopted the "cluster colleges" set-up, where each college prepared the program and supervised all the subjects required in the degree program offered in the college. It set up a University Center for Technological Research, the function of which was to conduct research and produce inventions/innovations in technology areas most needed by the communities served by PUP. For lack of sufficient rooms, laboratories, and related facilities, the University considered the completion of the 5th floor of the XYZ-Main Academic Building a top priority in its infrastructure program.
The PUP also established a tie-up with the University of Life in the training of trainors/project managers needed in the KKK program, as well as with the Ministry of Trade, the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development, and the NACIDA in these agencies' continuing training program to upgrade their personnel.
1985 That school year was an uneasy one...
1986 In April 1986, the PUP presidency was reassumed by Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente, who has seen university education as an equalizing instrument that would enable the children of the economically disadvantaged to climb up the ladder of society - and to counterbalance the dominating influence of the affluent few in the nation's day-to-day affairs as well as help greatly in charting its long-term destiny.
1987 The developments during this school year include:
Recognition of KAWANI, an employee's union;
Offering in Doctor in Educational Management (DEM), Master in Physical Education, Dance, and Recreation (MPEDR), and Master in Psychology (MAP);
Purchase of Hasmin Hostel in Sta. Mesa;
Initial offering of PUP Maragondon of baccalaureate programs in Accountancy, Business Education, Electronics and Communications Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering;
Offering at PUP Manila of new baccalaureate programs in Mathematics, Applied Sociology, Advertising and PR, Transportation Management, Information Technology, Political Economy, Internal Trade Management, Political Science, Public Administration, Architecture, Chemical Engineering, and Filipino;
Initial offering by PUP BEPZ / Bataan of baccalaureate programs in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electronics and Communications Engineering, and Computer Data Processing Management (BCDPM);
Initial offering by PUP Lopez of BCDPM;
Strengthening of the University's technical-vocational programs in Manila, Maragondon (Cavite), and Unisan (Quezon);
Appointment of Prof. Ofelia M. Carague to the SGV Professional Chair in Computer Science Output;
Improvement of physical facilities in PUP Manila and its branches;
Enhanced co-curricular programs, upsurge in cultural activities, and maintenance of a dynamic physical education and sports program, including retention of overall championships in the SCUAA (State Colleges and Universities Athletic Association) and the PICUAA;
Implementation of national government circulars effecting salary adjustments based on merit;
Sending of personnel, on official time, to seminars / workshops and conferences outside the University;
Granting of scholarships to incoming freshmen who were editors-in-chief or journalists of the year while in high school;
Revival of Memorabilia, the official yearbook of graduating students;
Increase of faculty / student newsletters;
The degree Bachelor in Information Technology (BIT) was offered;
Establishment of the University Center for Human Rights Education (UCHURE); and
Improved physical set-up / acquisition of more facilities for the PUP Printing Press.
1988 The Administration stepped up efforts to develop the physical facilities for PUP Manila and the branches. It also followed up the acquisition of the 10-hectare lot of the National Development Company which is adjacent to the University's A. Mabini Campus in Sta. Mesa, Manila. It likewise followed up bills in Congress, such as those...
Seeking to grant faculty members and students participation in University decision-making as full-pledge members of their school's Board of Regents and Trustees;
Granting financial autonomy to state universities and colleges;
Establishing PUP extensions / branches in Taguig (Metro Manila), Romblon, and Masbate; and
Establishing a national mass communications center in PUP Manila.
The University established centers and institution for special studies with their respective academic journals as well as consortia, linkages, and joint projects with local and international agencies. It implemented its yearly evaluation and merit promotion scheme for the faculty and administrative staffs. And it conferred doctoral degrees, honoris casua, to four prominent personages.
Offering of a graduate extension program in PUP BEPZ;
Offering of more nontraditional courses
Adoption of the policy requiring a masteral degree for a faculty member to qualify for permanent position;
Getting by PUP graduates of a passing mark of 81.5% in Licensure Examination for Nutritionists / Dieticians, which was twice the national passing mark of 40.5%;
Offering of refresher courses by College of Accountancy (CA) and the College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA) to prepare PUP students for board examinations; and
Printing of more publications, such as Trends, Bisig, Journal of Economics and Politics, Journal of Social History, PUP Profiles, PUP Campus Observer, and the Graduate Forum.
PUP continued to dominate the SCUAA and the PICUAA. The PUP Banda Kawayan was made the official entertainer of the Philippine Pavilion Hotel during the opening of the World Exposition '88 in Brisbane, Australia, and the Bagong Himig again emerged as the champion in the national choral singing competition.
1989 The PUP Graduate School introduced a nontraditional program to the degree of Master in Economics.
PUP Manila started to offer traditional baccalaureate degree programs in Sociology, Political Science, and Cooperatives. PUP Lopez, on the other hand, introduced two additional courses: Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. The Board of Regents approved the offering of Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Bachelor of Science in Criminology, Bachelor of Science in Forestry, Forest Ranger Certificate, and Diploma in Fisheries Technology.
The University, furthermore, continued to explore the "Open University" concept. It also started to develop the 17-hectare campus in Taguig, Metro Manila.
The University conferred an honorary doctorate in Public Administration on former Pres. Diosdado Macapagal and in Arts and Letters on Prof. Renato Constantino, Sr.
Faculty members teaching the same subjects were required to use a common syllabus, for this would facilitate departmentalization of final examinations, particularly in the basic subjects.
The University Textbook Board was established.
The University adopted the policy that only students who pas the qualifying examinations in the third year of the particular specialization may continue to enroll in courses with board / licensure examinations.
Also established were Professional Chairs in Political Economy, Banking and Finance, Computer Science, Engineering, and Marketing, as well as the Research Institute for Politics and Economics (RIPE) and the Center for International Relations (CIR).
The University got elevated to level one status, which meant, among other things, higher salary rates for University personnel.
It was also able to complete the P.E. Bldg. on A. Mabini Campus, the Graduate School Bldg. at M.H. del Pilar Campus, and a two-storey building in PUP Lopez. It rehabilitated the old PNB Bldg. for the use of PUP Bataan.
1990 The initiatives of the University in School Year 1990-1991 include the following:
Establishment of the "Open University" or Pamantasang Bayan of degree and non-degree programs in San Pedro (Laguna), Calaca (Batangas), Lopez (Quezon), Mulanay (Quezon), Lagro Subdivision (Quezon City), and Parañaque (Metro Manila)
Granting of professorial chairs to duly selected accomplished professionals as follows: Political Economy, Hector R. Villanueva; Banking and Finance, Antonio P. Gatmaitan; Computer Education, Hector M. Morada; and Marketing / Advertising, Leonardo Garcia
Retention of overall championship in both the SCUAA and PICUAA
Assigning of the Student Union Hall, as well as certain rooms in the Main Academic Building, to the Central Student Council and the accredited organizations under its coordination, the cultural groups, and the staffs of major student publications
Completion of the construction of the new University Library Building
Continuation of construction of the CEA Building
Offering of non-formal education, medical services, sports training, and values formation to 51 street children in the Sta. Mesa area.
Signing with the Dept. of National Defense of a Memorandum Of Agreement (MOA) which stipulates respect for the sanctity of the University Campus, its academic freedom and autonomy as well as detailing procedural agreements on police / military University interaction.
Entering into an industry-education linkage program agreement with the Philippine Computer Society for the furtherance of the development of Information Technology through Practicum, faculty assistance, office/plant visits, and training center use.
Signing with the Dept. of Justice of a MOA for the offering of a nontraditional graduate program in Human Behavior Technology.
Appointment of the University as training center for ATS CAD/CAI software.
Signing of a MOA with the Philippine National Historical Society for the growth of a nationalist historiography and for the use of disciplines to clarify current social and national issues.
Conduct of a summer EDP training for public elementary and high school principals in Metro Manila (in collaboration with the PSUCCESS)
Setting up (through the COABTE) of a summer seminar on Court Stenography for stenographers of the House of Representatives.
Entering into an agreement with the Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) that it shall take active role in developing and conserving environment and natural resources, specially at Mounts Palaypay and Mataas na Gulod in Maragondon, Cavite.
Introduction of a baccalaureate degree program in Entrepreneurial Management.
Signing of a MOA with the Philippine Historical Society, which stipulates that both entities work for the development of the proposed AB in Philippine History course as well as sponsor the first national conference on Urban History and lecture series on History and Social Problems
Institution of several computerization projects
Important events that took place in that year:
Establishment of the Research Center for Peace, Justice, and Democracy.
Setting of special make-up classes in English
Inauguration of the new four-storey three-wing University Library.
Granting of teaching and research chairs in Management by the Personnel Management Association of the Philippines.
Publication of five Open University modules, Sinag of the CAS, IC Balita, Student Handbook, LBEC Handbook, RIPE monographs, STRDC monographs.
Signing of MOA with Palawan National Agricultural College, Quirino State College, and University of Southeastern Philippines for the offering by the University of Master of Educational Management.
Offering by the Pamantasang Bayan of vocational / technical and baccalaureate programs in 25 municipalities.
Signing of MOA with Bataan Shipyard and Engineering College, Inc., which agreed to become a training station of the College of Engineering, PUP Bataan.
Start of construction of Mass Communications Center of the Philippines Building.
Retirement of Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente, designation of Dr. Zenaida A. Olonan as Officer-in-Charge.
Appointment of Dr. Jaime Gellor as Acting President (April 3 - July 3, 1992), which created confusion.
Appointment of Dr. Zenaida A. Olonan as first lady President of the PUP.
1997 The PUPWebSite Project began.
This is the first insignia used for this site. It began as a feasibility project of a group of computer students who named themselves as the Abyss Creative Group
On October 11, 1997, Pres. Fidel V. Ramos conferred his support for the computerization project of the University.
The former Bachelor in Information Technology (BIT) was revised as Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) while the Bachelor in Computer Data Processing and Management (BCDPM) was improved and became Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT).
1998 The PUPWebSite Project was changed to PUPWebSite and it served as the official Internet site of the University. It formally launched on January 27, 1998 in GeoCities.com.
On August 1998: Pres. Joseph Estrada visited PUP during its "Linggo ng Wika" Celebration. During that time, his Excellency conferred his support for the construction of the Information Technology Center of the University.
November 13, 1999: Dr. Ofelia M. Carague was appointed as the 10th President of the University and the first to undergo Republic Act 8292 (or the Higher Education Modernization Act), wherein the selection was made through a committee
1999 The University celebrated its 95th Foundation Anniversary with the theme: "Sandaang Taon Para Sa Pilipino, Panimulang Pagdiriwang" (One Hundred Years for the Filipino, The Beginning of the Celebration). This is the first of five countdown celebrations to the University's centennial.
The computerization program of the University was made into reality. This is spearheaded with the creation of new offices - the PUP Information Linkages Systems (PUPILS, headed by Prof. Rosicar E. Escober) and PUP Information Technology Center (PUP IT Center, headed by Prof. Mely R. Luya).
April 2000: PUP Information Technology Center started its operation with Prof. Mely R. Luya as the director. Later that year, it changed its name to Information and Communications Technology Center (PUP ICT Center).
February 2000: The University was conferred by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as a Center of Development for Excellence (CODE) in Information Technology. read news article about this
March 2000: PUP was designated by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) as a Virtual Center for Technology Innovation in Information Technology (VCTI-IT) and during the Year-End Commencement Exercise, PUP was declared an Information Technology Zone.
June 2000: The Master of Science in Information Technology program began with Prof. Rosicar E. Escober as the chairperson.
On June 30, PUP ICT Center was declared as a Microsoft Certified Government Technology Education Center (GTEC).
PUP celebrated its 96th Foundation Anniversary with the theme: "PUP @ 96: Knowledge Connectivity to e-Economy."
2001 Important developments during this year include:
Generally, for the period 1998-2001, 45 major projects and 31 minor projects were accomplished, unprecedented physical developments so far in PUP. Among these infrastructure projects includes the CLMC Building and Theater, Student Center, Laboratory High School Building, Interfaith Chapel, Grandstand, Gymnasium and Swimming Pool, and PUP ICT Center Phase 1 and 2;
Almost all the programs of the academic units of this University have been submitted for accreditation. Four (4) programs have gone through a formal survey and sixteen (16) programs went through the first survey to achieve the enhanced accredited status towards accreditation level 3. In fact, it ranked third in the Top 10 SUC’s with the most number of reaccredited (Level 2) programs which totaled to nine (9) programs. Consequently, it ranked first in the top 12 State Universities and Colleges with the most number of accredited (Level 2) programs which totaled to fifteen (15) programs;
The performance of PUP graduates in Professional/Licensure Examinations in the fields of Accounting, Architecture, Chemistry, Education, Engineering and Nutrition and Dietetics have showed noteworthy results;
Twenty (20) modules were reviewed, edited and evaluated and were all recommended for student use;
Curricular offerings of seventy-three (73) programs have been revised, and have passed through the scrutiny of the Curriculum Evaluation Committees (CECs) in the Department, College and University levels;
New colleges have been created: The College of Law, College of Communication, College of Nutrition and Food Science, College of Tourism and Hotel and Restaurant Management, College of Architecture and Fine Arts, and the College of Languages and Linguistics;
New programs have been approved: The Bachelor in Public Administration and Governance of the College of Economics, Finance and Politics and Master in Library and Information Science;
New subjects/courses were added into the various curricula to meet the demands of the changing times, especially in the fields of communications, engineering and other sciences;
The PUP through the CNTSP-ETEEAP is still one of only three (3) universities that were able to institutionalize and implement the ETEEAP despite absence of budgetary support from the CHED;
A new program in the Commonwealth campus was opened - Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurial Management;
The Graduate School successfully participated in the implementation of e-linked graduate courses with UP, PNU and EAC;
Students and faculty have actively involved themselves in various personal/professional developments e.g. graduate school, conferences, trainings, etc.;
Linkages to national and international entities and organizations have widened e.g. participation to national and international conferences, national and international networks and grant to PUP faculty of scholarships abroad.
Implemented ATM Payroll System;
Modernized offices in the Mabini Campus;
Processed 891 special scholars under President GMA Scholarship Program;
Implemented Information Systems for key operations such as human resource, enrollment, students, and payroll;
Through proper financial management, economic support was extended to the whole PUP Community, first time ever in the history of the University;
PUP celebrated its 97th Foundation Anniversary with the theme: "PUP: Kabalikat ng Pamahalaan sa Pag-aangat ng Antas ng Buhay ng mga Mamamayan" (PUP: Together with the Government in Uplifting the Lives of the People)
2002 PUP celebrated its 98th Foundation Anniversary.
2003 Dr. Ofelia M. Carague completed her term as University President on April 20, 2003. Through Board Resolution No. 202, Dr. Samuel M. Salvador was designated as Officer-in-Charge.
Dr. Samuel M. Salvador
The offering of AB Theater Arts for school year 2003-2004 was unanimously approved by the Board of Regents.
Consistent to existing Civil Service Rules and the PUP Merit System for Faculty and Academic Staff, 176 faculty members and 30 administrative staff were promoted one step higher in rank, and 36 faculty members and 7 administrative employee enjoyed permanent or temporary status.
2004 On January 26, Dr. Salvador's designation was reclassified as Acting President of the University. Preparations for PUP’s centenary became the most strategic agenda of his stewardship.
Developments during this year include:
The establishment of an Electronic and Communications Engineering Laboratory for Wireless Engineering Program in cooperation with SMART Communications;
Internet services returned. The University Web Site became online again;
SMART Communications was allowed to house a self-supporting tower for its cellular network in PUP Ragay;
The construction of the Centennial Plaza was proposed;
PUP introduces the BS Nursing program in PUP Bataan in cooperation with the Bataan Polytechnic State College;
The confirmation of a PUP Nursing Fund Account No. 148 welcomes the expectations of an eventual establishment of the PUP College of Medicine and its own hospital;
The PUP Board of Regents authorized the University to allocate 300 square meters lot for the construction of a Dialysis Center;
A Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Cooperative Management has been added in the curricular offerings of the University;
Fast confirmation of a Memorandum of Agreement with the Municipality of General Luna, Quezon to offer a one-year program in Technopreneurial course in General Secretariat in PUP Lopez. A separate MOA also commits PUP to expand its Open University Programs in San Pedro Laguna;
Proposed and later got the board approval of the revival of the Master in Construction Management offered in the Open University;
Ateneo de Manila University
The University also expanded its academic coordination with other leading universities in the country, notably, the
, regarding the development of a Modular Curricular Program;
Endorsement and repair and rehabilitation of the Laboratory High School building, amounting to PhP 1,346,724.34;
Improvement of the restrooms at the Learning Resources Center. This improvement is connected to the critical role of the said center of academic praxis in maintaining facilities conducive to both student and faculty training and education;
Building of perimeter fence, benches, gazebo, and lighting system in its premises;
The completion of cable installation for distributed Internet service and local area networking;
Dr. Salvador supervised the purchase of equipment for the ECE laboratory in PUP Bataan, and the reforestation of a watershed in PUP Lopez;
Construction of a fully furnished gymnasium and 2-storey concrete classroom facility in PUP Lopez extension;
Dr. Salvador lobbied with House of Representatives to donate IT equipments to PUP Ragay, which was granted.
Nine (9) classroom facilities were constructed in Sta. Rosa, Laguna;
The Unisan campus had humble improvements in its infrastructure: construction of school’s stage, construction of a shop hall/function room, and a new flagpole;
Within Dr. Salvador's first year in office, a total of PhP 41,950,000 has been allocated to employees’ bonuses and incentives from a total of PhP 75,002,000 projected income for 2004. From the Memorandum of Operational Expenses, amounting to PhP 29,852,000, PhP 700,000 has been allocated to training and seminar expenses - a guarantee that a flourishing academy will be maintained;
Most academic programs offered in the University passed the 1st resurvey assessment of the Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities of the Philippines (AACCUP);
Twelve topnotchers in different professional admission exams in just a year span (2003-2004) have recently joined the roster of young professional achievers, conveying the academic repute of the University to the whole nation as well as abroad where PUP alumni have created professional strongholds;
The University started to lay the foundations of enlightened academic self-sufficiency in some of its countryside branches, notably, the Mulanay branch in Quezon. Graduates courses such as Master of Science in Mathematics Education and Master of Arts in Language Teaching are now offered in the said branch;
In the first quarter of this year, many were promoted;
The Commission on Audit cited PUP for sound fiscal management;
Prof. Raoul Cawagas of the College of Science was runner-up in the Zonal Research Center NCR-1 Zonal Awards;
Atty. Lambert Castro of the College of Communication received a gold medallion from Supreme Court Chief Justice Hilario Davide, Jr.;
The Young Men’s Christian Association of Manila awarded the ‘Outstanding College-Y Adviser of the Year’ to Prof. Elizabeth Amaranto of the College of business. The same organization awarded Prof. Anita M. Espanol of the PUP Laboratory High School the ‘Outstanding Hi-Y Adviser’ in the high school category; and
The ICDE cited and awarded cash prize to Dr. Carmencita Castolo of the Open University for her paper on Information and Communications Technology.
On September 18, 2004, over 30,000 students, faculty and alumni of the Polytechnic University of the Philippines create a "human rainbow" in a move to boost the image of the school and a bid to set a new record for world's largest human rainbow in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Through a Board Resolution, Dr. Dante G. Guevarra was appointed Officer-in-Charge, which took effect on July 1.
Dr. Dante G. Guevarra
October 1, the University celebrated its 101st Founding Anniversary. Through another Board Resolution, Dr. Guevarra was appointed Acting President extending his term for another year.
Other events that took place on that year were: DBM e-budget Training (July 11-29), Training on Computer Literacy and Proficiency Training Program of the Office of the Vice President for Research and Development (OVPRD), Philippine Educators Network for Training, Research, and Development, Inc. (PENTRAD) and The Rotary International (Oct.13-14, and 17 and 18), Microsoft Office Specialist PUP Faculty Training (Partners in Learning Program, July 13-27), Microsoft Faculty and Student Ambassador Program Cascades (Technical and Business Management trainings) to A. Maceda Integrated School Teachers and Students (November 10-11), First ever PUP Technology Day at PUP ICT Center (November 18), Computer literacy program for the disabled military of the Department of National Defense and Armed Forces of the Philippines (September 24, October 8 & 15, 20).
PUPCET iApply, a Web-based PUP College Entrance Test (PUPCET)Application System was pre-released on December to accommodate PUPCET applicants until January 31, 2006.